Season Highlights (Short reel)
Please wait about 10 seconds before clicking play to give the video a little time to load.
- Title: Season Highlights (Short reel)
- Date: 1940
- Description: Highlights of the 1940 National Championship year (short version). The film features halfbacks Bruce Smith and George Franck. The film includes many examples of Bruce Smith's football skills, but his most famous play as a Golden Gopher was spliced from this and other 1940 highlight reels. On November 9, 1940, Michigan (#3) came to Minneapolis to play Minnesota (#2). Minnesota won the game 7-6 on an 80-yard run by Bruce Smith in one of the greatest plays (if not the greatest) in Minnesota history. The Golden Gophers went on to win the National Championship, and Bruce Smith was vaulted onto the national scene, eventually winning the Heisman Trophy in 1941.
- Format: Moving image
- Subject: Memorial Stadium (Minneapolis, Minn.)
- Creator: University of Minnesota
- Rights: Use of this film is governed by U.S. and international copyright laws. Image is property of the University of Minnesota. Please contact the University of Minnesota Archives for permission to publish this image. http://special.lib.umn.edu/uarch/
- Citation: University of Minnesota, “Season Highlights (Short reel),” Memorial Stadium 1924-1992, accessed July 23, 2014, http://brickhouse.lib.umn.edu/items/show/497.
- Tags: Films, The Gridiron